One of the most coveted benefits of membership is the listserv, a quick way to broadcast information or ask a question within the organization.
CalSPRA Member Listerv
- What is a listserv and why do I want to join one? A listserv enables you to send an e-mail message to one address and have that e-mail message broadcast to everyone on a particular e-mail list. CalSPRA has operated a listserv to facilitate communication among members since November 1996. CalSPRA's listserv currently has 700+ participants.
- What do I need to participate? All you need is an e-mail account. You may use your school district e-mail account or a private account.
- Must I be a CalSPRA member to participate on the listserv? Yes, you must be a paid member of CalSPRA to participate.
- What kinds of things can be posted on the listserv? First of all, the listserv is great for sharing resources. Describe your new publications and let CalSPRA members request copies. Share newspaper articles, websites, great speakers, PR ideas, and survey instruments -- we can all learn from each other. Secondly, the listserv provides a forum to have friendly conversations with your colleagues. From dealing with PRA requests to a badly-behaved board member, somebody in CalSPRA has been there, done that, and will be happy tell you about it. Pooling our collective experience, talent, and wisdom (and, yes, borrowing and adapting each other's best work) helps us all do a better job. Some excellent guidelines appear at the bottom of the page.
- Use our email listserv to receive assistance with a communications problem, discover an impending communications issue that may impact your organization, and stay updated on CalSPRA and statewide colleagues.
- The information shared should be considered confidential, though you may use it to proactively assist your leadership team.
- Remember when you hit "reply" it’s going to more than 700 people (and they can include superintendents, board members, neighbors or your boss) so consider any ramifications.
- If the volume coming into your email is overwhelming, you can mark your mail as 'digest" and only receive the messages once a day.
- If you are not receiving messages, please check your junk mail folder then contact CalSPRA Administration at email@example.com.
- Be sure to include a descriptive subject line. Emails without a subject line maybe perceived as spam by an email filter.
- Due to the size of the listserv, keep messages clear and concise.
- When your response to a post is of interest to the entire list, feel free to reply to the listserv address.
- Personal replies should be directed to specific individuals rather than to the entire list.
- Our listserv should not be used for the solicitation, promotion, or sales of commercial products or services, nor to disparage them. Please provide negative reviews directly to the requestor and not to the listserv.
- Our listserv should not be used for campaign purposes or to promote or engage in political activities
- Be respectful and considerate of your colleagues in your postings. If you disagree or become upset with someone's response or use of the list, reply to that person directly or call them.